Oil and gas drilling and fracking are the second largest source of industrial climate pollution in the country. In a rush to drill and frack as fast as possible, oil and gas companies waste huge amounts of valuable energy by venting or flaring it into the air.
Methane – the principal component of natural gas – is 86 times more polluting than carbon dioxide, per pound. And when oil and gas operations release methane into the air, they also spew out a host of other air pollutants, like volatile organic compounds that contribute to asthma, and cancer-causing benzene.
Go to WORC's Action Page to tell the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Interior to prevent wasteful methane leaks and flaring and to protect clean air.
- Powder River Basin Resource Council, Community Organizer, Cheyenne, Wyoming area
- Oregon Rural Action, Executive Director, La Grande, Oregon
- Northern Plains Resource Council & Montana League of Rural Voters, Canvassers, Billings, Montana
- Northern Plains Resource Council, Political Organizer/Political Organizing Director, Helena, Montana
- Northern Plains Resource Council, Field Organizer, Billings or Helena, Montana
A snapshot of residents defending their water, land, communities, and families from the harmful effects of booming oil drilling in the Bakken region of northwest North Dakota.
drilling and hydraulic fracturing daily.
Click on Learn More to